Lipman Recipe Book
- 6 Lipman Roma tomatoes, cut into thick slices
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 large (fresh) basil leaves
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Toss tomato slices with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Arrange tomato slices on a sheet pan in a single layer. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes until the tomatoes begin to caramelize and lightly brown.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, eggs, garlic, salt, and olive oil in a large bowl; mix well. When tomatoes have finished roasting, remove from oven and reduce temperature to 350 degrees. Allow roasted tomatoes to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Reserve 8 to 10 roasted tomato slices for the top of the cake. Add the remaining tomatoes (about 1 cup) and the basil to a food processor and blend until smooth. Add tomato/basil mixture to the cake batter and mix well. Pour batter evenly into a prepared round 9" x 1.5" baking dish and top with roasted tomato slices.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until top of cake begins to lightly brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cut into eight pieces before serving.
- This recipe was created by Tina Haupert, the blogger behind Carrots ‘n Cake. This versatile recipe is perfect for breakfast, brunch or dinner. Serve it with a fresh side salad to round-out the meal.